Thursday, October 4, 2012

surprises in Greek


The lights fades and the colors get richer.  The aroma of steeping tea reminds me of something from my childhood. I pause to reach back into my memories…finding only feelings…
Lillian breaks the moment as she walks in with the Greek New testament and says. “I was looking in here and found something I wanted to ask you about…” she starts flipping through the pages… I am astounded, trying to figure out where this can go. What on earth my 7 year old would want to know from the pages of the Greek New Testament?
Finally, she finds her spot. Not a question in Greek, but something she found amidst these ancient Truths: a slightly faded picture. 
She pulled out a ultrasound picture.  HER ultrasound picture. A reminder of the day the tests were confirmed, when we found out IVF worked.  Miracle of miracles! So many miracles... survivors of cancer, humbled by marital trials, financial struggles, unexpected death, disappointment  and inevitable heartache.  All fresh reminders of the many blessings we have been given and the mercies we have seen. 

I am tired, the day long, An unusual rhythm thanks to the kids being out of school for a few days. But I am thankful for this break in routine. For the change to just “be.” Together, cleaning, playing, working, reading, cooking, laughter…the light fades on today. These  are unscheduled days pregnant with moments of joy  - praying we see them give birth.

"The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments: