Thursday, April 10, 2008

free blood

I gave blood this week. It feels like a noble effort - like signing up for the military.
They call - I answer. Here is my arm, or rather my vein. Glad that I can serve my country.

I stop in the local donation location.
As I drudged through the paperwork and intrusive questions, my attendant notices my Chapel connection and unexpectedly opens dialogue. “You work there? At the Chapel?”

Completely catching me off guard, I continued to bury my nose in my book. But then I realized, oh. She is reaching out here. Probably ought to at least acknowledge it. Right back at ya.

Oh, yeah. Right. I am wearing my staff badge, aren’t I?
“ummm, yes! I do!” I suddenly realized that I am an representative of many others here. Get with it kiddo….

I set closed my book and she opened up.
Shared about how some friends took her to a service (lots of other details were exchanged). Ultimately it came down to this. She only went once. Hasn’t been back. Say’s she’s a Christian. But why don’t we take communion every service? She mentioned she just doesn’t like the religion thing. Funny. That is the title of the series we are on right now.

Jesus. Now there was someone who gave his blood for a purpose.
His blood saved this life!
Think I might have botched up that opportunity. Guess I am going back to give more blood soon and see if we can connect again. Maybe I’ll have another chance?

No comments: