Thursday, December 19, 2013

A gift joy this quiet night


This is the craziest season for me at work, as it is for so many of us.  And with our family, we have tried to create space.  Carving out time to reflect, to capture sacred moments, to create memories we all treasure. I long to instill the sense of wonder and anticipation in my kids hearts that Christmas holds for me.

So nightly we stop, and read together. light the advent candles, and tell the story through a special book that helps us build anticipation around the celebration of Christ’s birth.. But sometimes, this intended time of quiet and reflection, is chaotic and wrought with not-so-proud parenting moments… (like when my voice rises… and not in song… )

But tonight I was reminded why we press through the chaos to read the story, again, and again, and again…  

We got to the part in the book where the door opens to reveal the picture of the angels visiting the Shepherds, when Julianna who is still learning to read piped up and said…”I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord!”

Her joy at this simple statement, is the anchor that has a hold of the deepest part of my heart, for there is no greater joy. No greater news.  As I hear their laughter, and struggle through the chaos of the daily routine, I pray for more of these glimpses of unending joy.

May this joy grab hold of your heart and mine this season and every day the same… for there is no greater name....”He is Christ the Lord!”





No comments: